GCE Lab School prepares high school students for success as citizens in our interconnected and multicultural world. Our model integrates subjects into thematic courses that invite students to investigate real-world questions in a collaborative, project-based learning environment. Classroom learning is augmented by weekly Field Experiences that engage students in the relevance of their academics, get them outside the classroom and connect them with their community, and ignite their curiosity about potential career paths.
In Fall 2022, GCE will introduce Mandarin study as a new option for ninth-grade students. In the coming academic year, we will offer just one year of introductory Mandarin. Additional sections will be added in subsequent years.
The Mandarin Instructor will inspire students to genuinely explore the language through innovative and interdisciplinary curriculum and personalized, hands-on instruction. The Instructor will be responsible for motivating each student to develop competencies, knowledge and skills in comprehending, speaking, reading and writing Mandarin. The Instructor will share the culture of China and other countries where Mandarin is spoken to discover and develop special talents of students in communication. The Instructor is expected to help students communicate their understandings through the lens of global citizenship. This position includes space for personalizing the Spanish curriculum to fit the instructor’s interests and students’ needs, consistent with GCE’s project-based pedagogical model.
- Design and facilitate instruction in Mandarin language and Chinese culture, consistent with best practices in language instruction and GCE’s project-based pedagogical model
- Teach a single course in Fall, Winter, and Spring terms.
- Actively engage students with different learning styles and behaviors by preparing lesson plans that reflect student needs and group dynamics
- Communicate with parents to help students excel in their foreign language courses
- Connect lessons with current events in Chicago and in the world
- Assess and monitor student progress and performance
- Actively participate in GCE’s professional development program
- Collaborate with colleagues
Summary of Qualifications and Expectations
- BA required
- Teaching experience in a secondary school preferred
- Fluency in Mandarin
- Experience working as a mentor or advisor to an adolescent within an academic setting
- Experience working in multicultural and multi-ethnic environments
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- Established interest in progressive education
- Living abroad/travel experiences preferred
Time & Place
This is a part-time position following GCE’s annual and weekly calendar. Position begins no later than August 1, 2022.
- Submit Cover Letter & resumé
- Introductory virtual interview
- Submit writing sample
- Onsite interview with Head of School & Faculty
- Sample Lesson
- Background checks
- Reference checks
How to Apply
No phone calls, please. Please send a cover letter and CV to [email protected] We will contact those candidates we wish to interview. Equal Opportunity Employer.