At GCE, we are intentional about supporting socioeconomic diversity because we know that differences in backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences create a rich learning environment.
To ensure the accessibility of the GCE experience to all we have adopted a Flexible Tuition model. This model allows GCE to develop an unique tuition for every family.
Value and Values
A GCE Lab School education will help your students explore their passions, find their voice, and apply their learning to the world around them, ultimately becoming a socially responsible, forward-thinking global citizen inspired to make a difference.
We believe that high school is more than transcripts and test scores, it’s an experience. One full of opportunities—challenging courses, compelling internships, meaningful friendships, supportive teachers, personalized attention, heartfelt traditions, and so much more.
GCE Lab School Tuition Includes:
- All mandatory student fees
- All Field Experience costs
- All Professional Immersion Experience costs
- All student organization/club fees
- Books and curricular resources
- Breakfast and lunch
- In-school travel costs
Apply for Scholarships
At GCE, all families are encouraged to apply for Flexible Tuition, our need-based scholarship fund.
GCE’s Flexible Tuition application requires both custodial and non-custodial parents complete an income and asset assessment, using the Flexible Tuition Calculator, and to submit supplementary IRS 1040 forms and W-2 wage statements.
Any circumstances precluding the submission of all necessary documentation must be communicated to the Director of Enrollment Management.
Admitted students will be provided their unique Flexible Tuition obligation with their acceptance notification.
Flexible Tuition Estimator
Use the tool below to see an estimated range of flexible tuition based on household income. Please note, however, that a number of circumstances affect a family’s final tuition, not just household income.
GCE Lab School indexes a family’s tuition according to their unique financial circumstance. In this way, we award need-based scholarships and financial aid and strive to make the GCE experience accessible to all.
Average Tuition in 2020-2021 | $15,000
Flexible Tuition range for 2021-2022 | $4,550 – $29,150
We encourage all families to apply for Flexible Tuition by submitting an income and asset assessment, including a current IRS Form 1040 and W-2 wage statements. Families applying for Flexible Tuition must re-submit financial information annually. Families who elect not to complete the assessment will be responsible for full tuition.
Full tuition may change in future years according to the needs of the school. For the sake of financial planning, any given student’s tuition ceiling will remain the same for the duration of his or her tenure at GCE. Those enrolled in Flexible Tuition can expect annual increases or decreases according to their family's demonstrated resources.
Additional Financial Aid
There may be other ways to decrease a family’s tuition obligation. As funds are available, GCE Lab School may award additional merit aid according to criteria determined by the school or its donors.
Tax Credit Scholarship
The State of Illinois' Invest in Kids Act provides scholarships for low-income students enrolled in private schools. Scholarships of $13,000.00 can be awarded annually. Students will be given equal priority in the application and award process if they meet one of these four requirements:
- They are Renewal Scholars, that is they have received a tax credit scholarship for the previous school year.
- They are the sibling of a Scholarship Recipient, that is a sibling who received a tax credit scholarship for the previous school year.
- They reside in a Focus District. The whole of Chicago is considered a focus district.
- The family's Adjusted Gross Income is at or below 185% of the Federal Poverty Level Guidelines (see Empower Illinois website for more details).
All students hoping to receive a tax credit scholarship must submit an application, regardless of whether they received a tax credit scholarship for the previous school year. Please note, Empower Illinois has a multi-step application process that opens on Wednesday, January 12, 2022.
- Reservations for tax credit scholarships open at 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, January 12, 2022, with submissions beginning at 7:00 p.m.
- After completing the reservation process you will receive an email from Empower Illinois inviting you to complete your application beginning on January 14. Empower Illinois encourages you to complete your application before January 24 to give yourself the best chance at receiving a scholarship.
- After submitting your application, be sure to check your EmpowerXChange portal for application updates.
GCE is pleased to work with the following organizations that provide academic and financial support to high-achieving, underserved students in the Chicagoland area.
GCE Lab School admits students of any race, color, national or ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admission policies, financial assistance program, or athletic and other school-administered programs.
WE RESERVE THE RIGHT to stop the admissions process and/or NOT to admit an applicant if we determine that we cannot responsibly and/or ethically serve the applicant/student and/or family.